I watched an episode of dating naked a couple of weekends ago and while I would be too scared to go on such an adventure, the show brought to light some important aspects of dating. The show started with a single man and a single woman who were looking to be in a committed relationship. They had to go on 3 naked dates (literally, without clothes) with 3 different people to find love. At the end of the show, they got to pick who they would like to continue seeing. It was interesting to watch the goings on and it reminded me of some of the most important do’s in dating:
- It’s important to be yourself: You might strike out with a person but that might mean that they are not meant for you. It’s common practice to put your best foot forward on a first date and subsequent dates until your are tired of living a lie but it’s definitely better and a lot easier to be yourself and let the he other person decide whether or not they want to be with someone like you.
- Don’t be afraid to try again: So you have put yourself out and have struck out, don’t give up, try again. Don’t let past experiences prevent you from trying to love again. Love is worth the effort and when you find that one person that loves you for you, you’ll realize why it just didn’t work with anyone else.
- Go with your gut: Your gut is like an internal notification light that comes on when something is up. I advise that you never rely on your gut 100% but you must always pay attention to it. A gut feeling might be about something good or bad but you decide how to proceed with the notification being given to you.
- Know your boundaries: It’s ok to make certain compromises in a relationship but as an individual, know what your boundaries are concerning your core values. Do not change yourself completely to suit some one else’s idea of a partner. Do not lose yourself trying to be someone you are not.
- Be open to new experiences: There is no surefire way to meet the right person. Be open to stepping out of your comfort zone and trying out new things. Not exactly with the purpose of finding a mate but just because it wouldn’t hurt to try something new. You’d be surprised at the fulfillment you get from regaling others with the stories of your adventures.
To all single people, it’s a jungle out there and we all could use some “naked dating”.