Today is my 29th birthday *cue the applause* and I’ve decided to share a few nuggets of wisdom (stuff I’ve learnt over the years).
1. I have learnt not to judge others because they sin differently from me. You can never tell what you would do in a similar situation.
2. I have learnt that life is short. Don’t forget to tell your loved ones how much you love them.
3. I have learnt to pick my friends wisely. Friends are the family you choose for yourself.
4. I have learnt to budget for smaller sized clothes when embarking on a weight loss journey. Plan your life with your future goals in focus.
5. I have learnt that it is not better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Even time won’t heal the wounds. It makes you forget the hurt but doesn’t erase the memories.
6. I have learnt that a lot can happen in 24 hours. God only needs a moment to change your life so keep the faith.
7. I have learnt that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happens to them all. Life is not a competition, it’s creating your own path to your destiny.
8. I have learnt to trust my intuition. Your own ears will hear Him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left.
9. I have learnt that all is fair in love and war. Follow your heart but let your head lead.
10. I have learnt that disappointments arise when reality differs from expectations. Adjust your expectations!
11. I have learnt that anything worth doing will be hard work. Don’t give up!
12. I have learnt that talk is cheap. Take the words you hear with a pinch of salt – Men lie, Women lie, Everyone lies.
13. I have learnt that money can ruin friendships and families. Be a lender, never a borrower.
14. I have learnt that no one is born lucky. Preparation+Attitude+Opportunity+Action=Luck (The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy)
15. I have learnt that everyday may be for the thief but one day, yawa go gas!
16. I have learnt that Salvation and Holiness aren’t attained once and for all. You have to make them a daily choice.
17. I have learnt that my life won’t change for the better simply because I want it to. You’ve got to fight for what you want!
18. I have learnt that trust should be earned. Don’t give out your trust for free!
19. I have learnt to always get approval for work related jobs in writing. There are as many agendas as there are people in any work environment, you’ve got to have your back.
20. I have learnt that the difference between rags and riches is time. Do not despise the day of humble beginnings.
21. I have learnt that if you don’t learn from a case of bad judgement, it’s called a mistake but if you do, it’s called experience. Experience is the best teacher.
22. I have learnt that there’s no such thing as the perfect man (or the perfect woman). Find someone that you can spend the rest of your life in ‘imperfect’ happiness with. Finding love is like finding shoes. You would like to go after the good looking ones, but in the end, it’s best to choose the one you’re comfortable with – Unknown Author (Rephrased by yours truly).
23. I have learnt that growing up is hard. Whether you choose to stay young and do only the things you want to do or grow up and do the things that should be done, the choice is yours. Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
24. I have learnt that faith isn’t abstract. You don’t have faith if you don’t act in faith.
25. I have learnt that we do not live in an ideal world. If we did, I’d be married to Idris Elba cos I’m totally in love with him 😀
26. I have learnt to look for a silver lining in every dark cloud. No situation is entirely hopeless, create a silver lining if you must and never lose hope.
27. I have learnt that worry doesn’t change a thing. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
28. I have learnt that the patient dog hardly ever gets a bone. There is indeed a time to be patient but there is also a time to make a move.
29. I have learnt that being independent is something to be proud of. It gives you a sense of self accomplishment and makes others respect you.
Today marked the start of a new year. Only God knows what lessons I’ll learn. It’s good to know that as I’ve grown older, I’ve gotten wiser so whatever lessons are earmarked for this year, I’m confident that I’ll look back when I’m 30 and be as proud as I am today, as I have been in the past years, of how far I’ve come.
Happy birthday to me and Channing Tatum!!