I was making breakfast this morning and I heard my mom’s laughter from my sitting room/bedroom *pun intended*…lol! She was watching an episode of Becker on tv. It made me euphoric. Everything was suddenly right with the world. It was an awesome feeling.
Everyday, we are preoccupied with thoughts of how we want our lives to be, what we want to do or accomplish and how to achieve all our dreams. We hardly ever have time to just enjoy the simple moments – those little treasures that life brings our way. It’s terrific to plan and be ambitious and all but in our hustle for the future, it is necessary to enjoy the present. After all, it would be pointless if after all your hard work at becoming rich and famous, you are despised by your kids or after building that dream house, your wife leaves you.
Below are a few of life’s simple pleasures:
1. A real time video conversation with a loved one you haven’t seen in a while.
2. Trying out a new recipe and getting it right.
3. A hot bath after a long day at work.
4. Finding an new exciting feature on your phone.
5. The smell of rain.
6. A Sunday afternoon nap.
7. Going out of the house without makeup and looking like a million bucks.
8. Watching guests enjoy a meal you’ve prepared.
9. Lying in bed with someone you love, just holding hands and relishing the silence.
10. A cool swim on a hot afternoon.
11. A healthy smoothie.
12. Waking up early in the morning and realizing that you can sleep in ‘cos it’s the weekend.
13. Eating popcorn at the cinema.
14. Free Wi-Fi.
15. The sight of a pair of new shoes 😀
I once heard a preacher say that every day for one year, he wrote down what he appreciated in his wife and presented it to her on her birthday. He said it was the best thing that ever happened to him because it affected the way he related to his wife and she loved him more in return. In the same vein, plan to take 10 minutes every day to appreciate the wonderful life you’ve been blessed with. You’d be amazed at how easily you get out of bed with a smile on your face and a spring in your step.